frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Podcast with Olympic Gold Medalist Simon Whitfield | TRS Triathlon

SystemAdminSystemAdmin Administrator
edited August 2015 in Articles

imagePodcast with Olympic Gold Medalist Simon Whitfield | TRS Triathlon

In this podcast Ben talked with one of the greatest triathletes in history, Simon Whitfield. They talked about the Olympics, meditation, doping and Lance.

Read the full story here

BrandonMarshTX

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    The opening was absolutely the best! And Simon is a very interesting person. I did not expect to like this episode as much as I did.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

The opening was absolutely the best! And Simon is a very interesting person. I did not expect to like this episode as much as I did.

That was a great interview for me because I almost forgot I was recording for most of the conversation. Great guy. Can't wait for part 2 in Kona!
    Aaron WebsteyAeroDieNamicHSeeley14
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Several times, he sounded kind of surprised and said something like "huh, that's a really good question". I'd take that as a compliment if i were @TheRealStarky .
    sdickie61AeroDieNamicdhrAdam WDawnCwchevron
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Good god man, this interview is blowing my tiny Canadian mind. I'm pretty sure I'm already a better person for having listened to 3/4 of it.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Bah, just another doping apologist.
    AeroDieNamicAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Great podcast Ben and Black Fred! As usual Simon showed why he was one of my favorite athletes to follow and root for. Still have the signed Hy-Vee poster on my wall.

I also enjoyed hearing the voice of the guy clicking like on everyone's posts @AaronWebstey.
    Aaron WebsteyTimOLearyHSeeley14TheoJames Lange
  • Options
    I think Mr. Real Starky deserves a mention here, for being a class act. Also, points for the doping discussion! It's great to hear the other side of that argument, just as we are hearing the other side of the Bahrain 13 story.
    AeroDieNamic
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    Fantastic podcast, and I like how you addressed the Chris issue. I listened to his podcast where he called you a scab, and my impression was that he was reacting from fear that a newcomer was cutting into his business. He did a tweet to that effect as well--that you hadn't yet "earned your cred."

And this is the kind of petty back-stabbing that I see in triathlon all the time. The attempts by industry insiders to circle the wagons and keep out new talent, because they fear for their own positions of power.

Note that this is very different from paying deference to those who have earned respect. I'll forever respect and support someone like Bob Babbitt, even if one day he's no longer awesome. And I respect Macca as an athlete and an entertainer for what he's done over the years, but I no longer respect him as a businessman.

While it's true that TRS hasn't been around long enough to have a long-term track record, that's no reason to badmouth it. If Ben turns out to be a flash-in-the-pan, then we'll all move on to something else. But currently TRS is by far the highest entertainment in triathlon, and that's all I need to decide to tune in each week.

This whole shutting-down-new-talent thing has got to stop. The old white men at Tri Business International do it, and then wonder why there are so few women engineers working for bike companies to, say, design a better seat for women. Or so few women race directors. Etc., etc.

It's a shame to see someone like Macca go down the same path of fear and exclusion. Chris, man up and accept that you have competition in the tri entertainment niche. Don't use your power and influence to try and cut a newcomer down. You come across as a bully.
    Aaron Websteybalsdorfsdickie61hafuSusan_B_AgonyDana TaylorTimOLearydhrBrent_Rtrsradio69HSeeley14nedauliItsShugBeartrapDawnCTheowchevronJames Lange
  • Options
    @TheRealStarky great show, this was a great interview and like I said on Twitter you handled the Macca issue perfectly. What also continues to impress me is your growth as an interviewer, it's really becoming a great conversation vs ask and respond ask and respond. Great work Big Smooth Jr
    Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14Theo
  • Options
    "It's improv motherfucker - do it!" This latest offering was full of win.

I sat in my office until 8pm last night listening to the show, laughing my ass off. As others have already said, I think the Macca issue was handled well.

I think Simon enjoyed that interview as much as @TheRealStarky did. Amazing that this was the first time in a long and distinguished career that anyone had asked him anything personal about doping.

Personal SQW anecdote: A few years ago Simon put up an Instagram of his kids using something in his kitchen that I thought would be great for my little girl. I had no idea what it was/where to get it, so I sent him an email. I wasn't really expecting to hear back (he had no idea who I was), but about 20 minutes later he replied with a nice message that included the brand info., where to get it etc. Simon is good people.

AeroDieNamicAaron WebsteyHSeeley14

• Options
    @TheRealStarky - Ben, I believe the expression you're looking for (when a DJ talks up to when the lyrics start) is "Hit the post", not "Talk it up".
    trsradio69

He's just this guy, ya know?

• Options
    SQW FTFW!!!

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    blanco said:

@TheRealStarky - Ben, I believe the expression you're looking for (when a DJ talks up to when the lyrics start) is "Hit the post", not "Talk it up".

Busted for having zero radio knowledge.
    blanco
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Thanks for a solid podcast that provided more pound for pound meat than the rest of the triathlon podcasts out there.

Very nice handle on Macca, as a public person I wanted you to respond like this because of how much it shows that you give a damn about the sport more than yourself (even though you should give a damn about yourself as well).

I also liked how you talked to Simon about what it's like to be human, not coach post triathlon and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    Instant classic for sure. I really enjoyed the insight. You do have a talent for making people forget they are being interviewed and recorded, its more of a great conversation than interview.

trsradio69M_WareHSeeley14
  • Options

I also liked how you talked to Simon about what it's like to be human, not coach post triathlon and the like.

I actually wrote that part down: something about the passing of the old guard intrigues me. Crowie said something like that too. I'm going to paraphrase a bit, but he said, "you know, some days you wake up, and its miserable. Others, you feel great, and you really nail the workout, and you think to yourself, 'maybe... Maybe I can saddle up with the boys and ride one last timetime',"

Sports are interesting like that. Especially when you were a professional at the top of the game. Still, you reach a point where your time has passed. The great thing is that SQW has mostly avoided that. He's been able to move on, doing other, productive, and interesting things.

But still, it would've been much more fitting (and probably a little more heartbreaking) to have seen him at the front of the race in 2012, hanging with the big boys, him, followed by Jan, gathering what's left of their flagging strength and giving one last charge, one last move to show that the young guns that while they may be old, they are not willing to go quietly into the night.

I'm sure a lot of them has thought this way. No doubt crowie has in one of his last kona attempts. I feel like losing, in this situation, is a little bit more cathartic for the Athletes. At the very least, they know that they've given it their all.

This has gone massively off topic, but bringing it back now, I'm glad that Simon is so at peace with his exit from triathlon. In a way, it gives me comfort that I too, can have an easy transition from something that has been my focus since I was 11 years old.
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    I actually really appreciated his outlook on doping. I wouldn't call him an apologist the way the Clean Protocol crowd probably would, but it's refreshing to hear somebody who is a bit less black and white about it.
    HSeeley14Theo
  • Options
    uliuli Member

Busted for having zero radio knowledge.

Until then it wasn't obvious. At all.

(To be clear: I wish I were half as talented on air as you are.)
  • Options
    uliuli Member
    Brent_R said:

Bah, just another doping apologist.

I keep hearing that and some reference to him apologizing Armstrong. Do I have to suffer through a show listening to a middle aged Canadian to find out or could anyone tell me please?
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    uliuli Member
    edited August 2015
    Ah, thanks. Good for him (and me because I can happily continue to ignore him).
    hafu
  • Options
    Loved it. Going to listen to it twice!
  • Options

Instant classic for sure. I really enjoyed the insight. You do have a talent for making people forget they are being interviewed and recorded, its more of a great conversation than interview.

AGREE 100%. Amazing interview. Loved when Simon said something like "why isn't every athlete coming onto this show??"
    Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch