frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Hip-hop preferences

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
I was accidentally reading ST this morning when I realized that none of the nerds over there know shit about hip-hop. It's all I listen to, whether training, driving, relaxing...even both times I've had sex. Mostly 90s NYC stuff (Wu-Tang, Nas, Mobb Deep, Lauryn Hill, Biggie) and lately a lot of Kendrick. What are some of your favorites?
Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyMattidking90ellsworth53tKuchyournotuniqueBrew_Tri

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited August 2018
    Lately, it's been Childish Gambino, Gang Starr, MF Doom and some Mac Miller, but Pre-2000 Busta, Biggie and Ma$e will always be faves. Plus who can hate on some classic Ludacris?
  • Options
    "TO QUOTH THE MEEK MILL...gang members move quietly"

Lately I've been listening to
    - Pusha T's Daytona- Some good, some not so good.
    - Ill Bill x Dj Muggs - Kill Devil Hills, fantastic album from 2010.
    - Black Thoughts EP, best rapper alive currently. Can't wait for a full length.
    - Czarface & MF Doom from earlier this year. Some great, some not great.
    - The new Denzel Curry was a "not good" in my opinion compared to Imperial

Now we have a metal thread and a rap thread... yes.
    Aaron WebsteyMattTad_Myournotunique
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I love hip hop but know almost nothing about it, so thanks for this thread. Listening to a few TCQ albums maybe a year or so ago got me started down the rabbit hole.
    bbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Real G's move in silence like lasagna
    bbculpidking90Brew_Tri
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    My girlfriend loves the dirtiest rap songs possible. I had not heard this song, and she knows every word. Wait for the chorus.

Mark_after_DarkAaron Webstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    Obviously Mobb Deep, Nas, & Wu-Tang. Gang Starr. Big L. Geto Boys. DJ Screw.

My interest is very specific, very limited, but very high quality.

“Dead in the middle of Little Italy, little did we know that we riddled two middlemen who didn't do diddily”
    bbculpGranpa Chookyournotunique
  • Options
    Love that lyric @dhr. RIP Pun.

Good call on Black Thought @Granpa Chook. For those unfamiliar, enjoy.

Granpa ChookMattdhr
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Wu Tang, Cypress Hill, Vanilla Ice.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Let me guess @bbculp , TCQ isn't good enough for the hip hop snobberati like yourself.
    Tad_Mbbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Dark_mark maybe you and @AaronWebstey can work up a rendition of that to the tune of Barrett’s Privateers.
    Tad_M
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Here's how some of the greatest rappers rhyme, and its evolution

Granpa ChookAaron Websteybbculp
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Have any of you old school hip hop folks dug further back to listen in on the go-go scene , most prominently Chuck Brown (the soul searchers). It's worth your time .
    I was too pissed when Disco killed the Funk scene to move into hip hop, I'm sure I'm missing lots.
    M_WaredhrAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I remember when Grandmaster Flash came out with "The Message". My friend recorded it on a cassette, off the radio, and we used to keep rewinding it to learn all the words.
    Was also into Kid and Play, Rob Base, Run DMC.
    M_WareMartinAaron Websteybbculpyournotunique
  • Options
    Hey has anyone mentioned Wu Tang yet? LOL... Stuff white people like #116... (I love Wu Tang by the way).

@Matt great video. Along those skillful lines, some of my favorite albums of the last few years was Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai, and Aesop Rock - Impossible Kid.

Also if you find yourself on the internet too much, you probably could benefit from listening to this guy

RIP SEAN P
    Mattdhr
  • Options
    @bbculp I just got into some Nas and I withdraw my previous comment
    bbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I always like this song by Riskay. My wife kept making me take it off my playlist when the kids were little.

• Options
    Hit the easy button: "Hip Hop BBQ" station on Pandora.

My favorite doctor (Dre) is notably missing from the above mentions. I came home from elementary school rapping NWA once (because that's what the bus driver played) and that's probably the closest I ever came to being on the receiving end of corporal punishment.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_MMattKenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53tyournotunique
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    Sean Price was great. RIP. A friend of mine was in a band that did a track with him.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey enjoy your Nas education. Illmatic is right there with 36 Chambers as the greatest album in hip-hop history. He came out with a new album this year...you can skip that one.
    Aaron WebsteyMattGranpa Chook
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Big Tymers are an old favorite, “get your roll on” is excellent
    bbculp
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Also a big fan of DMX “Ruff Rydaz Anthem”
    dhrbbculp
  • Options
    @mbrekk44 I tend to judge people based solely on their taste in music and swimming ability. So unless you swim like Amberger, I think you might be a terrible person.
    MattAaron WebsteyGranpa ChookTad_MMartinkjrunninyournotunique
  • Options
  • Options
    @Matt did you listen to The Abstract and the Dragon from 2013? Busta x Q-Tip. It was solid if I remember correctly.

Early Busta was a great intersection of pop-rap (in a positive way) and unique delivery/humor/aggressiveness. He just went into the pop spectrum way too much in the late 90s which lost me completely. Kind of like Redman (Muddy Waters is a fantastic album actually).

@bbculp @AaronWebstey Good that you directed him to those two. Any rap education needs to start there. 36 Chambers especially will set off a whole flow chart of amazing albums. Get ready Webstey these will get you through the Canadian winter

36 chambers > 1st round solo (Cuban Linx, Tical, Liquid Swords, ODB) > Wu-Tang Forever > Ghostface Albums (Ironman, Supreme Clientele, Fishscale, Apollo Kids) just keep going and going
    MattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    You have fine tastes @Granpa Chook. While I think 36 Chambers is the most significant album in hip-hop history, my personal favorites are the solo albums that came later (especially Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx & Supreme Clientele).

I've seen Gza perform Liquid Swords 4 times. It's a great show, as long as you're OK with him getting on stage 1-3 hours late.

@AaronWebstey I'm jealous you get to experience all this for the first time. It's like my wife who's watching Sopranos for the first time right now. I wish I could go back and enjoy what it was like.
    Granpa ChookAaron Webstey
  • Options
    No one mentioned Salt N Pepa.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpMartin
  • Options

@Matt did you listen to The Abstract and the Dragon from 2013? Busta x Q-Tip. It was solid if I remember correctly.

Streaming now. So far so good.
  • Options
    this is all white people commenting on this. this thread is not credible.
    Mark_after_DarkAaron WebsteybbculpMartinKenElPescadoPeladokjrunninItsShugPevashishDaulyournotunique
  • Options
    Dark_mark said:

this is all white people commenting on this. this thread is not credible.

My dad is rumoured to be 1/16 African Canadian
    #KOAT
  • Options
    AncestryDNA told my adopted mom she's 12% north African. I think that means I can join ISIS and comment with authority on hip-hop.
    KenElPescadoPeladokjrunnin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch