frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Orleans 70.3 v. Galveston 70.3

Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
Not be all Slowtwitch about it, but I'm trying to decide between these two early season races -- since stupid triathletes handed stupid WTC their money so quickly that stupid Oceanside is already sold out. I know nothing about Galveston v. New Orleans other than what I've Googled, but I'm leaning towards Galveston since New Orleans sounds humid and has had those swim problems in the past. Galveston I hear is sort of eh, though. Anyone done these that can tell me which is a better race?

Comments

• Options
    Done both. Both are boring and suck. If you have to choose, do new Orleans because there is other fun stuff to do outside of the race.

I do like Galveston though. Fast course and the run has 3 loops and you can see your family a lot if they position themselves well.

New orleans, the swim sucks. Poor venue overall, but the city is cool.
    Kelly O'Mara

Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

• Options
    I've done both, twice.

Swim: NOLA's 'swim problems' should be long gone now that it's held in a marina. Downside is you're likely swimming with used tires and trash along with your fellow racers. The swim at Galveston is in brackish waters that can be a bit choppy. If you suck at swimming, NOLA is your best bet since it was short for me.

Bike: Both are about as boring as can be. NOLA is basically two long out and backs of shitty, tree-lined roads with nothing to look at and almost no chance of getting out of your bars. Galveston has smooth roads but an almost guaranteed cross wind for the entire race. That wind can shift though and could be a straight headwind at any point. Rain and strong winds nearly screwed the race this year.

Run: The first time I did NOLA the run kicked ass - a two loop course along the side of Lake Pontchartrain and throughout neighborhoods. This year it was one loop along the Lake with a strong ass head wind the entire way out and a tailwind on the way back. Add the heat and humidity and it sucked ass. The three loop course at Galveston is fun in my opinion. Gets crowded if you're a later wave, but all the turns and variation make the 13.1 seem more like a 10k.
    Kelly O'MaraAaron Webstey

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    Oh man, you guys are definitely selling these races.

Thanks, good info! Now I just need to decide which sounds less boring I guess. Or is a cheaper flight.
  • Options
    Flight to HOU should be the cheapest option. Plus I've always gotten cheap rental cars there. Cheaper hotels in Galveston too, at least for me.
    Kelly O'Mara

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch