frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Jorgensen Quits Tri?

That’s a kick in the balls to USA Tri.

Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah

Comments

• Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    No shit, damnit Shalene for getting her all motivated and pumped up for marathons
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77MamaCheetah
  • Options
    Holy shit. I was really looking forward to Gwen vs Duffy.

She is an incredible runner and I wish her all the luck, but I'm not sure if she will make it. Will be interesting to see.
    Aaron WebsteyfyrehaarMamaCheetah
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    "It's not you it's me...sworry"

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoBrent_RTad_MMartinCraig_D
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I wondered if there was more behind the move to Beaverton. Seemed odd how she always talked about missing family but then moved to Oregon and not her midwest home. Makes sense now with her marathon goals and Portland area being a hotspot for distance training. Her video was telling where she says that "triathlon picked her." She always seemed a bit of a reluctant champion. Happy to see she is going after a goal she said she picked herself.
    Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyMattM_Wareidking90Craig_DMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Very much hoping for a return to TRS Radio after this announcement.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MJohns622AlexSrangamelPreachSwansonMamaCheetah
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post Yeah very true. She posted so much stuff with the Bowerman women over the last year I was SCARED about what was coming. They don't just let people come run with them for no reason.

Gwen: I'm leaving you Triathlon.
    Triathlon: NO Gwen please! I'll change.
    Gwen: We aren't going anywhere anymore.
    Triathlon: I'll make the bike courses even easier! I'll give you a free bike motor!
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_MJennifer PostPreachSwansonMamaCheetah
  • Options
    She didn't have much of an impact on triathlon participation even after her Olympic gold, right?

Maybe she dropped her Garmin in the port-a-potty one too many times and just said fuck it.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostNotSoFatLewEvanKenElPescadoPeladoBrent_RTad_MM_Warewchevronsimonsen77Craig_DBrew_TriMamaCheetah
  • Options
    dhr said:

She didn't have much of an impact on triathlon participation even after her Olympic gold, right?

Maybe she dropped her Garmin in the port-a-potty one too many times and just said fuck it.

that would be the only thing i have in common with Gwen and triathlon if that's true.

also, good to see she's not abandoning ridiculous hats in marathon, so we still have that
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyTad_MMark_after_DarkM_Waresimonsen77Craig_DOverBiker_SammaggieruMamaCheetah

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    It’s probably all that. I mean, with a new kid she’s probably looking to cut down on travel and training. Training one discipline where she won’t have to travel a crazy race series to get points to qualify (pretty sure US is just a national trials for running?) is all probably pretty attractive.

I think triathlon has to look at this and wonder if it’s going to have to change. If every 4 years your champion in your biggest event decides to bugger off and either mostly or totally withdraw from the sport, you’re going to have a hard time generating a following.
    Tad_MfyrehaarMattidking90James LangeAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Goddamnit. I really, really wanted to see Gwen v Duffy at their peaks. Ugh.
    OverBiker_SamTad_M
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    You think it was the "Cameltoe" question on the TRS podcast that did it?
  • Options
    Pretty ambitious to shoot for gold at the marathon having run one (?) marathon? I know she wasn't properly trained for NYC, but 2:41 to 2:20 is a pretty big gap
    MattAaron Webstey

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Was that an Asics ad? A RedBull ad? Is Gwen selling her bike and stuff? Maybe she can post it here.

Also: Gwen has ZERO chance of winning gold in the Olympic marathon, but as an American 'favorite', she'll make a shed-load of money in endorsements on her way to a top 10.

My apologies for the cynicism.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Websteyidking90ryanjgatesMattEvan
  • Options
    fyrehaar said:

I think we did. It was Rio 2016 and Gwen beat her handily. I love Flora and maybe she has improved since, but her WTS results before and after Rio were: 4,4,3,2,1,1. She then won the Grand Final after the Olympics. She was pretty damn fast then and she couldn’t get away from Gwen on the bike and couldn’t run with Gwen.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Martin said:

Also: Gwen has ZERO chance of winning gold in the Olympic marathon, but as an American 'favorite', she'll make a shed-load of money in endorsements on her way to a top 10.

I wouldn't even say she's the American favorite. Maybe "American favorite not sponsored by Nike".
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah

• Options
    Brent_R said:

fyrehaar said:

I think we did. It was Rio 2016 and Gwen beat her handily. I love Flora and maybe she has improved since, but her WTS results before and after Rio were: 4,4,3,2,1,1. She then won the Grand Final after the Olympics. She was pretty damn fast then and she couldn’t get away from Gwen on the bike and couldn’t run with Gwen.
    Duffy is running much better this year. She was still in grad school last year and not training full time. Plus, the confidence that dominating the WTS gives her would maybe change how she races, instead of accepting - oh, Gwen's gonna catch me, maybe she fights that much harder to win.
    Aaron WebsteyBrent_R
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I think even top 10 would be pretty huge.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @fyrehaar Maybe. It is definitely a shame we won’t get to see them race again.
    fyrehaar
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I think even top 10 would be pretty huge.

I was being polite since most of the people here are from 'Murica.

And as for the not sponsored by Nike thing, give her a year.
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    We are a nationalistic bunch, but also realistic. I doubt Gwen beats out Hasay for top American, but I’m wrong a lot .

• Options
    Hasay and Des Linden (Brooks) will both likely be better, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Do you guys for real think she'll make it to the Olympic start line?
    #KOAT
  • Options

Do you guys for real think she'll make it to the Olympic start line?

In America we know that if you just work hard and stay out of trouble you can accomplish anything.

So, you know, it’s entirely up to Gwen.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    for real though. that announcement was an amazing ad for so many sponsors.

i have to wonder how Specialized feels about this after she went so public about them supporting her through pregnancy/motherhood/etc. and then she basically abandons any type of professional cycling.
    Aaron Websteyfyrehaar

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Likely happy they don't have to pay as much anymore, and can refocus on paying Sagan and 2 WT teams.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Martin said:

I wouldn't even say she's the American favorite. Maybe "American favorite not sponsored by Nike".

Martin said:

Pretty sure the team she is running with is a Nike team.
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    With ROKA even putting together that hype video the day before the announcement, should we expect them to get into running apparel, or maybe some hats even better than BOCO (I love all my BOCO hats)
  • Options
    It's going to be really tough for her to make the team, very tough. Molly Huddle will be going long pretty soon, and will be an excellent marathoner. Gwen will also need to deal with Hasay on the Salazar-sauce, and Hastings who just medaled at the world champs, Des Linden if she sticks around.

Gwen ran 32:22 at a road 10k a few years back, Australian Champs. I think she will easily push that PR into 31:something. Gwen got 3rd at the US 10 mile champs last year which was surprising.

The big question mark is if (or when) her body can adapt to the 80-100 mi weeks. Some people never get there, and the quicker you try to do it, the more risk that you will never get there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch