frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Questions about dropbox

Adam_HallAdam_Hall Member
edited April 2017 in Help
Im really good at some things, like blowing up on an IM run, having crappy taste in movies and always ending up with the ugliest waitress at hooters or twin peaks but when it comes to technology, my skillz are quite as refined. So, I recently created a dropbox account so my wife (sorry, no pics) and I can share photos (sorry, no nudes) while vacationing so I can transfer them to our external hard drive daily and off our phones.

Here is my question....we travel abroad pretty frequently (at least once a year) and have always taken photocopies of our passports but I was thinking we could just upload pictures of our passports and driver's license to passport in case anything would ever happen but I am curious how "safe" and "secure" this would be.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
GasBomb

Comments

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Just use two factor authentication and go for it.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    Adam_HallAdam_Hall Member
    edited April 2017
    Hmm...not sure what that is but lemme play around with it.

Thanks
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i'd be nervous to store things like my passport on Dropbox... but you do do
    Adam_Hall

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I'd say you're fine with 2-factor authentication, as long as you don't post your nudie pics with Kate Upton
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Evan said:

I like everyone here, but no one on this site is interesting enough to have someone go to the trouble of hacking multifactor authentication to access a scan of their passport.

Now, if @M Ware is keeping some of her cookie recipes on Dropbox, I'm renting some EC2 processing time...
    simonsen77ellsworth53tM_WarekjrunninTad_MAaron WebsteyEvan
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Martin no recipes. The only thing I have saved on Dropbox is the copy of the old TRS podcast outro "My Death" by Failed Flowers that I purchased because I love it. Still hoping for the day @TRS_tri brings it back. For everyone who needs a flashback: https://failedflowers.bandcamp.com/track/my-death
    kjrunninMartinAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Martin said:

Evan said:

I like everyone here, but no one on this site is interesting enough to have someone go to the trouble of hacking multifactor authentication to access a scan of their passport.

Now, if @M Ware is keeping some of her cookie recipes on Dropbox, I'm renting some EC2 processing time...
    Im more worried about identity theft than anything else, not Jason Bourne using my likeness to enter Russia to wreck havoc on the KGB
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    My identity is stolen so widely at this point, I have given up on caring.

My greater worry would be finding something in short order to use to get to dropbox, particularly if you have two factor authentication on.

If you lose your phone, you have to have some computer to get to dropbox, then some means to get codes for the two factor.

This is one of those places I still like a paper hidden in the lining of my suitcase.
    M_WareAdam_Hall

• Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Android or Iphone? Android means you can use Google apps and just use Google Drive for storage with no issues. Then share the folder in there with your wife. Nothing lives on your phone so no one can steal it. Save you important items as pdfs or jpegs with stupid non searchable names. Much easier than drop box.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    iamuwere said:

My identity is stolen so widely at this point, I have given up on caring.

My greater worry would be finding something in short order to use to get to dropbox, particularly if you have two factor authentication on.

If you lose your phone, you have to have some computer to get to dropbox, then some means to get codes for the two factor.

This is one of those places I still like a paper hidden in the lining of my suitcase.

Okay, as you can tell my ignorance on dropbox is really glaring. My only real concern is like I get mugged in Nassau Bahamas or something (phone and passport both stolen). I was thinking that if I had copies of my passport and such (insurance card, drivers license, etc) it might make things easier for me if I loose everything.

I am on iPhone and my wife is too and we would like to use dropbox to share photos and such but in an extreme emergency we could access a desktop for important documents.

Last month I was sitting in the airport in Tapei, Taiwan and my passport fell out my back pocket. I had no idea and a stranger came up to me and gave it back to me. The copy I had was in my checked luggage and it got me thinking what the hell I would have done if that dude didnt see it and give it back.
  • Options
    The little bit I read about the two factor authentification mentioned like 8 different 10 digit codes or something. I wasn't sure how I would be able to use that if I had no phone, etc.
  • Options
    Everyone is missing the point that if you lose your passport, having a copy of it doesn't mean shit.

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    As much as I would never enjoy proving @TheActualPaulo wrong...

"What Should a U.S. Citizen Do if his/her Passport is Lost or Stolen Abroad?

Please provide:
    ...Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)..."

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

M_Ware
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

As much as I would never enjoy proving @TheActualPaulo wrong...

"What Should a U.S. Citizen Do if his/her Passport is Lost or Stolen Abroad?

Please provide:
    ...Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)..."

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

Can you travel with a photocopy of your missing passport...? Exactly.

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    Adam_Hall said:

The little bit I read about the two factor authentification mentioned like 8 different 10 digit codes or something. I wasn't sure how I would be able to use that if I had no phone, etc.

You can print these out though and carry those. If stolen they are worthless without your username and password, unlike say copies of all your personal information
    Adam_Hall
  • Options

balsdorf said:

Adam_Hall said:

You can print these out though and carry those. If stolen they are worthless without your username and password, unlike say copies of all your personal information
    Thats a good idea. That I didn't consider.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Either way Im going to have to bring photocopies of something to meet what im looking for. I appreciate all the feedback.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Now i understand the logic that got you stranded here. Sorry to hear about that.
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch